A 8.5 magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of Indonesia, prompting an Indian Ocean-wide tsunami alert. By nightfall, after a day of panic, most of the alerts had ended.
More Photography from Time
- Rain-Soaked Crowds Gather at Mandela Memorial
- The Best Nelson Mandela Covers From Around The World
- The World Reacts to Nelson Mandela’s Death
- Kiev’s Pro-West Protests Paralyze Ukraine
- Thailand on the Brink: 4 Killed and 100 Injured in Anti-Government Protests
- Filipino Chapel Serves as Hospital for Newborns