The democracy icon and her colleagues from the opposition National League for Democracy, or NLD, on Wednesday ended their boycott over a controversial clause in the country’s oath of office and took their seats in parliament. “We are not giving up, we are just yielding to the aspirations of the people,” said Suu Kyi.
More Photography from Time
- Kiev’s Pro-West Protests Paralyze Ukraine
- Thailand on the Brink: 4 Killed and 100 Injured in Anti-Government Protests
- Filipino Chapel Serves as Hospital for Newborns
- Afghanistan’s Record Opium Year
- Shi’ite Muslims Around the World Mark Ashura
- Typhoon Haiyan Cuts a Path of Destruction Across The Philippines