The democracy icon and her colleagues from the opposition National League for Democracy, or NLD, on Wednesday ended their boycott over a controversial clause in the country’s oath of office and took their seats in parliament. “We are not giving up, we are just yielding to the aspirations of the people,” said Suu Kyi.
More Photography from Time
- India Scorched by Blistering Heatwave
- Scenes from Pakistan’s Historic Election
- Dutch Abdication: Willem-Alexander Becomes Europe’s Youngest Monarch
- Aleppo: Scenes from a City of Ruins
- The Epic Vistas of the World’s Largest Algae Farm
- Bangladesh’s Worst Industrial Accident: Scenes From a Terrifying Tragedy