The democracy icon and her colleagues from the opposition National League for Democracy, or NLD, on Wednesday ended their boycott over a controversial clause in the country’s oath of office and took their seats in parliament. “We are not giving up, we are just yielding to the aspirations of the people,” said Suu Kyi.
More Photography from Time
- Mourning Madiba: South Africans Say Goodbye to Nelson Mandela
- Rain-Soaked Crowds Gather at Mandela Memorial
- The Best Nelson Mandela Covers From Around The World
- The World Reacts to Nelson Mandela’s Death
- Kiev’s Pro-West Protests Paralyze Ukraine
- Thailand on the Brink: 4 Killed and 100 Injured in Anti-Government Protests