After more than two decades, Aung San Suu Kyi, Burma’s pro-democracy leader, embarked on her first journey abroad following years spent under house arrest. TIME takes a look at her travels from Thailand and Switzerland to Britain and Norway where she formally accepted her 1991 Nobel Peace Prize.
More Photography from Time
- Rain-Soaked Crowds Gather at Mandela Memorial
- The Best Nelson Mandela Covers From Around The World
- The World Reacts to Nelson Mandela’s Death
- Kiev’s Pro-West Protests Paralyze Ukraine
- Thailand on the Brink: 4 Killed and 100 Injured in Anti-Government Protests
- Filipino Chapel Serves as Hospital for Newborns