After more than two decades, Aung San Suu Kyi, Burma’s pro-democracy leader, embarked on her first journey abroad following years spent under house arrest. TIME takes a look at her travels from Thailand and Switzerland to Britain and Norway where she formally accepted her 1991 Nobel Peace Prize.
More Photography from Time
- Scenes from Pakistan’s Historic Election
- Dutch Abdication: Willem-Alexander Becomes Europe’s Youngest Monarch
- Aleppo: Scenes from a City of Ruins
- The Epic Vistas of the World’s Largest Algae Farm
- Bangladesh’s Worst Industrial Accident: Scenes From a Terrifying Tragedy
- Deadly Earthquake Strikes China’s Sichuan Province