After more than two decades, Aung San Suu Kyi, Burma’s pro-democracy leader, embarked on her first journey abroad following years spent under house arrest. TIME takes a look at her travels from Thailand and Switzerland to Britain and Norway where she formally accepted her 1991 Nobel Peace Prize.
More Photography from Time
- Kiev’s Pro-West Protests Paralyze Ukraine
- Thailand on the Brink: 4 Killed and 100 Injured in Anti-Government Protests
- Filipino Chapel Serves as Hospital for Newborns
- Afghanistan’s Record Opium Year
- Shi’ite Muslims Around the World Mark Ashura
- Typhoon Haiyan Cuts a Path of Destruction Across The Philippines