The Muslim Brotherhood and their Islamist platform have become a powerful political force since the fall of Hosni Mubarak. Their ranks include women who also advocate a greater role for Islam in Egyptian society and government. But what role do these “sisters” play given the conservative, male-dominated hierarchy of the Brotherhood? Cairo-based photojournalist Pauline Beugnies spent over a year exploring these issues ahead of Egypt’s presidential elections.
More Photography from Time
- Kiev’s Pro-West Protests Paralyze Ukraine
- Filipino Chapel Serves as Hospital for Newborns
- Afghanistan’s Record Opium Year
- Shi’ite Muslims Around the World Mark Ashura
- Typhoon Haiyan Cuts a Path of Destruction Across The Philippines
- Sell, Give Away and Destroy: the Dismantling of America’s Presence in Afghanistan