The Muslim Brotherhood and their Islamist platform have become a powerful political force since the fall of Hosni Mubarak. Their ranks include women who also advocate a greater role for Islam in Egyptian society and government. But what role do these “sisters” play given the conservative, male-dominated hierarchy of the Brotherhood? Cairo-based photojournalist Pauline Beugnies spent over a year exploring these issues ahead of Egypt’s presidential elections.
More Photography from Time
- Scenes from Pakistan’s Historic Election
- Dutch Abdication: Willem-Alexander Becomes Europe’s Youngest Monarch
- Aleppo: Scenes from a City of Ruins
- The Epic Vistas of the World’s Largest Algae Farm
- Bangladesh’s Worst Industrial Accident: Scenes From a Terrifying Tragedy
- In Caracas, Tensions Simmer over Venezuelan Election