After the freest elections in the country’s history, Mohamed Morsi defeats Hosni Mubarak’s last Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq in a race that raised political tensions in Egypt to a fever pitch. Morsi won with 51.7 percent of the vote versus 48.3 for Shafiq.
More Photography from Time
- India Scorched by Blistering Heatwave
- Scenes from Pakistan’s Historic Election
- Dutch Abdication: Willem-Alexander Becomes Europe’s Youngest Monarch
- Aleppo: Scenes from a City of Ruins
- The Epic Vistas of the World’s Largest Algae Farm
- Bangladesh’s Worst Industrial Accident: Scenes From a Terrifying Tragedy