The Duanwu Festival, also known as the Dragon Boat Festival and Double Fifth, falls on the fifth day of the fifth month of the Chinese calendar. The celebrations commemorate the death of Qu Yuan—a famous Chinese poet from the kingdom of Chu who lived during the Warring States period.
More Photography from Time
- Scenes from Pakistan’s Historic Election
- Dutch Abdication: Willem-Alexander Becomes Europe’s Youngest Monarch
- Aleppo: Scenes from a City of Ruins
- The Epic Vistas of the World’s Largest Algae Farm
- Bangladesh’s Worst Industrial Accident: Scenes From a Terrifying Tragedy
- Deadly Earthquake Strikes China’s Sichuan Province