A year after achieving its independence, South Sudan is wracked by instability and concerns over the frailties of its fledgling government. A refugee crisis, sparked by neighboring Sudan’s brutal crackdown on rebel militias north of the border, has led to tens of thousands fleeing to shoddy, makeshift camps in an impoverished, war-torn land.
More Photography from Time
- India Scorched by Blistering Heatwave
- Scenes from Pakistan’s Historic Election
- Dutch Abdication: Willem-Alexander Becomes Europe’s Youngest Monarch
- Aleppo: Scenes from a City of Ruins
- The Epic Vistas of the World’s Largest Algae Farm
- Bangladesh’s Worst Industrial Accident: Scenes From a Terrifying Tragedy