In southern Colombia, a tribe of indigenous people, the Nasa Indians, have risen up after being caught in the crossfire of a government offensive against leftist guerrillas. In mid-July, hundreds of Nasa, whose only weapons are wooden spears and clubs because of an abhorrence for guns, managed to seize a government outpost on a hill in Toribio, southern Colombia. State forces wrested back control, but the incident has catalyzed local discontent and frustration with the government.
More Photography from Time
- Scenes from Pakistan’s Historic Election
- Dutch Abdication: Willem-Alexander Becomes Europe’s Youngest Monarch
- Aleppo: Scenes from a City of Ruins
- The Epic Vistas of the World’s Largest Algae Farm
- Bangladesh’s Worst Industrial Accident: Scenes From a Terrifying Tragedy
- Deadly Earthquake Strikes China’s Sichuan Province