In southern Colombia, a tribe of indigenous people, the Nasa Indians, have risen up after being caught in the crossfire of a government offensive against leftist guerrillas. In mid-July, hundreds of Nasa, whose only weapons are wooden spears and clubs because of an abhorrence for guns, managed to seize a government outpost on a hill in Toribio, southern Colombia. State forces wrested back control, but the incident has catalyzed local discontent and frustration with the government.
More Photography from Time
- Kiev’s Pro-West Protests Paralyze Ukraine
- Thailand on the Brink: 4 Killed and 100 Injured in Anti-Government Protests
- Filipino Chapel Serves as Hospital for Newborns
- Afghanistan’s Record Opium Year
- Shi’ite Muslims Around the World Mark Ashura
- Typhoon Haiyan Cuts a Path of Destruction Across The Philippines