More than 200,000 civilians have had to flee their homes and several hundred fighters have been killed in recent clashes between rebels and Congolese government forces. Reports of support for rebel fighters from neighboring Rwanda have stoked fears yet again of an escalating regional conflict.
More Photography from Time
- Thailand on the Brink: 4 Killed and 100 Injured in Anti-Government Protests
- Filipino Chapel Serves as Hospital for Newborns
- Afghanistan’s Record Opium Year
- Shi’ite Muslims Around the World Mark Ashura
- Typhoon Haiyan Cuts a Path of Destruction Across The Philippines
- Sell, Give Away and Destroy: the Dismantling of America’s Presence in Afghanistan