Palestinian demonstrators fed up with high prices and unpaid salaries shuttered shops, halted traffic with burning tires and closed schools throughout the West Bank on Monday in the largest show of popular discontent with the governing Palestinian Authority in its 18-year history. The embattled Palestinian Authority, cash-strapped and ineffectual, scrapped proposed tax hikes in a bid to appease the protesters. Observers fear this discontent could spur another mass Palestinian uprising.
More Photography from Time
- Kiev’s Pro-West Protests Paralyze Ukraine
- Filipino Chapel Serves as Hospital for Newborns
- Afghanistan’s Record Opium Year
- Shi’ite Muslims Around the World Mark Ashura
- Typhoon Haiyan Cuts a Path of Destruction Across The Philippines
- Sell, Give Away and Destroy: the Dismantling of America’s Presence in Afghanistan