India is in tumult after the government passed reforms that cut certain subsidies and loosened up controls on foreign investment entering the country, paving the way for big multi-brand retail chains like Walmart entering the market. Allies have threatened to abandon Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s ruling coalition, while opposition parties and activists took part in a nationwide strike against the reforms on Sept. 20 that saw protests and arrests in many of India’s major metropolises.
More Photography from Time
- Rain-Soaked Crowds Gather at Mandela Memorial
- The Best Nelson Mandela Covers From Around The World
- The World Reacts to Nelson Mandela’s Death
- Kiev’s Pro-West Protests Paralyze Ukraine
- Thailand on the Brink: 4 Killed and 100 Injured in Anti-Government Protests
- Filipino Chapel Serves as Hospital for Newborns