As many as 50,000 demonstrators took the the streets of Athens in an union-organized strike against austerity measures on Sept. 26, 2012. This is the first large-scale march since Greece’s coalition government was formed in June.
More Photography from Time
- 2013: The Year in Global Protest
- David Guttenfelder Is TIME’s Pick for Instagram Photographer of the Year
- South Africa’s Poor Tune In to Mandela’s Funeral
- Nelson Mandela’s Funeral in Pictures
- A Spiraling Crisis in the Central African Republic
- Mourning Madiba: South Africans Say Goodbye to Nelson Mandela