Cambodians prayed for former King Norodom Sihanouk on Tuesday and world leaders sent their condolences as the country prepared for the return of his body. Sihanouk, a cunning political survivor who reinvented himself repeatedly throughout his often flamboyant life, died Monday at age 89 of a heart attack in Beijing, where he had been receiving medical treatment since January for multiple ailments.
More Photography from Time
- Scenes from Pakistan’s Historic Election
- Dutch Abdication: Willem-Alexander Becomes Europe’s Youngest Monarch
- Aleppo: Scenes from a City of Ruins
- The Epic Vistas of the World’s Largest Algae Farm
- Bangladesh’s Worst Industrial Accident: Scenes From a Terrifying Tragedy
- In Caracas, Tensions Simmer over Venezuelan Election