A large bomb blast ripped through a predominantly Christian neighborhood in Beirut, killing eight including a top intelligence official—the presumed target of the attack—and wounding many others. The attack raises the specter of the bad-old days of bitter sectarian conflict in Lebanon, which now looms again over the country as a civil war fought on sectarian lines rages across the border in Syria.
More Photography from Time
- India Scorched by Blistering Heatwave
- Scenes from Pakistan’s Historic Election
- Dutch Abdication: Willem-Alexander Becomes Europe’s Youngest Monarch
- Aleppo: Scenes from a City of Ruins
- The Epic Vistas of the World’s Largest Algae Farm
- Bangladesh’s Worst Industrial Accident: Scenes From a Terrifying Tragedy