A large bomb blast ripped through a predominantly Christian neighborhood in Beirut, killing eight including a top intelligence official—the presumed target of the attack—and wounding many others. The attack raises the specter of the bad-old days of bitter sectarian conflict in Lebanon, which now looms again over the country as a civil war fought on sectarian lines rages across the border in Syria.
More Photography from Time
- Mourning Madiba: South Africans Say Goodbye to Nelson Mandela
- Rain-Soaked Crowds Gather at Mandela Memorial
- The Best Nelson Mandela Covers From Around The World
- The World Reacts to Nelson Mandela’s Death
- Kiev’s Pro-West Protests Paralyze Ukraine
- Thailand on the Brink: 4 Killed and 100 Injured in Anti-Government Protests