Friday marks Eid-al-Adha, the close of the four-day annual pilgrimage, or hajj, to Mecca, Saudi Arabia. Muslims around the world—at a moment of particular instability and havoc in parts of the Middle East and South Asia—will sit down on Friday for the ritual Feast of Sacrifice.
More Photography from Time
- Scenes from Pakistan’s Historic Election
- Dutch Abdication: Willem-Alexander Becomes Europe’s Youngest Monarch
- Aleppo: Scenes from a City of Ruins
- The Epic Vistas of the World’s Largest Algae Farm
- Bangladesh’s Worst Industrial Accident: Scenes From a Terrifying Tragedy
- Deadly Earthquake Strikes China’s Sichuan Province