China’s criminal justice and prison system is known for being notoriously opaque—trials move swiftly, the guilty sometimes disappear. Here are images from inside two detention centers in Beijing, after government authorities took journalists on a recent tour of the facilities.
More Photography from Time
- India Scorched by Blistering Heatwave
- Scenes from Pakistan’s Historic Election
- Dutch Abdication: Willem-Alexander Becomes Europe’s Youngest Monarch
- Aleppo: Scenes from a City of Ruins
- The Epic Vistas of the World’s Largest Algae Farm
- Bangladesh’s Worst Industrial Accident: Scenes From a Terrifying Tragedy