China’s criminal justice and prison system is known for being notoriously opaque—trials move swiftly, the guilty sometimes disappear. Here are images from inside two detention centers in Beijing, after government authorities took journalists on a recent tour of the facilities.
More Photography from Time
- Mourning Madiba: South Africans Say Goodbye to Nelson Mandela
- Rain-Soaked Crowds Gather at Mandela Memorial
- The Best Nelson Mandela Covers From Around The World
- The World Reacts to Nelson Mandela’s Death
- Kiev’s Pro-West Protests Paralyze Ukraine
- Thailand on the Brink: 4 Killed and 100 Injured in Anti-Government Protests