A 7.4 magnitude earthquake struck Guatemala Wednesday killing more than 52 and injuring hundreds. The 20-mile-deep quake’s epicenter was near the coastal town of Champerico, but the effects were felt heavily 80 miles away in the western department of San Marcos. This was the strongest quake to hit the country since 1976 when a tremor killed 23,000.
More Photography from Time
- India Scorched by Blistering Heatwave
- Dutch Abdication: Willem-Alexander Becomes Europe’s Youngest Monarch
- Aleppo: Scenes from a City of Ruins
- The Epic Vistas of the World’s Largest Algae Farm
- Bangladesh’s Worst Industrial Accident: Scenes From a Terrifying Tragedy
- Deadly Earthquake Strikes China’s Sichuan Province