A 7.4 magnitude earthquake struck Guatemala Wednesday killing more than 52 and injuring hundreds. The 20-mile-deep quake’s epicenter was near the coastal town of Champerico, but the effects were felt heavily 80 miles away in the western department of San Marcos. This was the strongest quake to hit the country since 1976 when a tremor killed 23,000.
More Photography from Time
- Mourning Madiba: South Africans Say Goodbye to Nelson Mandela
- Rain-Soaked Crowds Gather at Mandela Memorial
- The Best Nelson Mandela Covers From Around The World
- The World Reacts to Nelson Mandela’s Death
- Kiev’s Pro-West Protests Paralyze Ukraine
- Thailand on the Brink: 4 Killed and 100 Injured in Anti-Government Protests