Following a half century of military rule, care for HIV/AIDS patients in Burma lags behind other countries. Half of the estimated 240,000 people living with the disease in Burma are going without treatment and 18,000 are dying from it every year. It will take years to prop up a broken health system hobbled by decades of neglect.
More Photography from Time
- Rain-Soaked Crowds Gather at Mandela Memorial
- The Best Nelson Mandela Covers From Around The World
- The World Reacts to Nelson Mandela’s Death
- Kiev’s Pro-West Protests Paralyze Ukraine
- Thailand on the Brink: 4 Killed and 100 Injured in Anti-Government Protests
- Filipino Chapel Serves as Hospital for Newborns