In the war-torn, mineral-rich Democratic Republic of Congo, rebels belonging to an armed group known as the M23 have launched a devastating offensive against the government of President Joseph Kabila, capturing the main provincial capital of Goma in the country’s east, according to reports. Though denied by the Rwandan government, many believe the M23 is armed and backed by Rwanda, as regional governments jostle for influence and control over a part of the world blessed with teeming natural wealth but afflicted by decades of war and human-rights abuses.
More Photography from Time
- India Scorched by Blistering Heatwave
- Scenes from Pakistan’s Historic Election
- Dutch Abdication: Willem-Alexander Becomes Europe’s Youngest Monarch
- Aleppo: Scenes from a City of Ruins
- The Epic Vistas of the World’s Largest Algae Farm
- Bangladesh’s Worst Industrial Accident: Scenes From a Terrifying Tragedy