In the war-torn, mineral-rich Democratic Republic of Congo, rebels belonging to an armed group known as the M23 have launched a devastating offensive against the government of President Joseph Kabila, capturing the main provincial capital of Goma in the country’s east, according to reports. Though denied by the Rwandan government, many believe the M23 is armed and backed by Rwanda, as regional governments jostle for influence and control over a part of the world blessed with teeming natural wealth but afflicted by decades of war and human-rights abuses.
More Photography from Time
- Mourning Madiba: South Africans Say Goodbye to Nelson Mandela
- Rain-Soaked Crowds Gather at Mandela Memorial
- The Best Nelson Mandela Covers From Around The World
- The World Reacts to Nelson Mandela’s Death
- Thailand on the Brink: 4 Killed and 100 Injured in Anti-Government Protests
- Filipino Chapel Serves as Hospital for Newborns