Declaring that he lacks the strength to do his job, Pope Benedict XVI announced he will resign Feb. 28 – becoming the first pontiff to step down in 600 years. His decision sets the stage for a mid-March conclave to elect a new leader for a Roman Catholic Church in deep turmoil.
More Photography from Time
- Rain-Soaked Crowds Gather at Mandela Memorial
- The Best Nelson Mandela Covers From Around The World
- The World Reacts to Nelson Mandela’s Death
- Kiev’s Pro-West Protests Paralyze Ukraine
- Thailand on the Brink: 4 Killed and 100 Injured in Anti-Government Protests
- Filipino Chapel Serves as Hospital for Newborns