The tunnels under the border between Gaza and Egypt were flooded by Egyptian forces last week. The country is worried about the two-way flow of smuggled arms with the Gaza Strip which is destabilizing Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula, increasingly a hotbed of disgruntled militant groups. The contentious border tunnels are a concern also to Israel, which has targeted the tunnels with airstrikes several times in the past.
More Photography from Time
- Kiev’s Pro-West Protests Paralyze Ukraine
- Thailand on the Brink: 4 Killed and 100 Injured in Anti-Government Protests
- Filipino Chapel Serves as Hospital for Newborns
- Afghanistan’s Record Opium Year
- Shi’ite Muslims Around the World Mark Ashura
- Typhoon Haiyan Cuts a Path of Destruction Across The Philippines