The tunnels under the border between Gaza and Egypt were flooded by Egyptian forces last week. The country is worried about the two-way flow of smuggled arms with the Gaza Strip which is destabilizing Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula, increasingly a hotbed of disgruntled militant groups. The contentious border tunnels are a concern also to Israel, which has targeted the tunnels with airstrikes several times in the past.
More Photography from Time
- Scenes from Pakistan’s Historic Election
- Dutch Abdication: Willem-Alexander Becomes Europe’s Youngest Monarch
- Aleppo: Scenes from a City of Ruins
- The Epic Vistas of the World’s Largest Algae Farm
- Bangladesh’s Worst Industrial Accident: Scenes From a Terrifying Tragedy
- Deadly Earthquake Strikes China’s Sichuan Province