Born in poverty, Hugo Chávez rose through the military and survived a failed coup to become one of the most influential figures in Latin America. The socialist leader, a demagogic populist who consolidated power and was in his fourth term as president, died March 5 at the age of 58 after a secrecy-shrouded battle with cancer.
More Photography from Time
- Scenes from Pakistan’s Historic Election
- Dutch Abdication: Willem-Alexander Becomes Europe’s Youngest Monarch
- Aleppo: Scenes from a City of Ruins
- The Epic Vistas of the World’s Largest Algae Farm
- Bangladesh’s Worst Industrial Accident: Scenes From a Terrifying Tragedy
- Deadly Earthquake Strikes China’s Sichuan Province