Venezuela’s government announced Thursday that late president Hugo Chavez’s body is to be embalmed and displayed inside a glass coffin at a military museum not far from the country’s presidential palace, Miraflores. This sort of prominent public display not only of a dead leader’s final resting place, but of the dead leader’s preserved corpse, places Chavez in the company of revolutionary leaders such as Lenin and Mao, North Korea’s dictatorial father-and-son team, Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il, and others. Here, TIME takes a look at a number of world leaders whose remains have been placed on perpetual display down through the years.
More Photography from Time
- Scenes from Pakistan’s Historic Election
- Dutch Abdication: Willem-Alexander Becomes Europe’s Youngest Monarch
- Aleppo: Scenes from a City of Ruins
- The Epic Vistas of the World’s Largest Algae Farm
- Bangladesh’s Worst Industrial Accident: Scenes From a Terrifying Tragedy
- Deadly Earthquake Strikes China’s Sichuan Province
Don't be surprised, most of these leaders were communist. Obviously the people who don't believe in God, make their leaders to be gods. So they embalm and worship them
One could not escape the trap of death. So the Venezuelans also mourning the death of Hugo Chavez like all other Monarchs, Dictators, Democratic Heads or rulers who are now part of history.