Ali Dilem is Algeria’s best-known cartoonist. He has been prosecuted at least 50 times for his subversive work, but now Algeria’s authoritarian rulers may have recognized the folly of trying to muffle him.
More Photography from Time
- Thailand on the Brink: 4 Killed and 100 Injured in Anti-Government Protests
- Filipino Chapel Serves as Hospital for Newborns
- Afghanistan’s Record Opium Year
- Shi’ite Muslims Around the World Mark Ashura
- Typhoon Haiyan Cuts a Path of Destruction Across The Philippines
- Sell, Give Away and Destroy: the Dismantling of America’s Presence in Afghanistan