Since Supertyphoon Haiyan hit the Philippines on Friday, a well-publicized estimate that the storm killed 10,000 people has circulated throughout several news outlets. However, President Benigno Aquino III told CNN on Tuesday that those numbers were far too high.
“So far 2,000, about 2,500, is the number we are working with as far as deaths are concerned,” he said. A total of 1,774 bodies have been counted, and 2,487 people were injured.
The monster storm left a scene of devastation in its wake. At least 800,000 people have been displaced on six Philippine islands, the U.N. said Tuesday.