Iran will rejoin six world powers in negotiations over its nuclear program Thursday, one week after it temporarily suspended talks in protest of American moves to expand the scope of existing economic sanctions.
The talks are set last through Friday, but may continue into the weekend, deputy Iranian chief negotiator Abbas Araqchi said, according to Iran’s Fars news agency. A spokeswoman for European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton also confirmed the Vienna meeting, Reuters reports.
Nuclear and sanction experts are expected to join diplomats from the six world powers — Britain, France, Germany, United States, Russia and China — to outline a plan for implementing last month’s landmark deal that lifted economic sanctions on Iran in exchange for a temporary halt to its nuclear program.
Last week, Iranian officials decried a U.S. measure that blacklisted 19 more Iranian companies and individuals supporting the country’s nuclear program. Araqchi told the state news agency the measures were “against the spirit” of November’s interim deal, but White House officials said they gave Iran advance warning of the move.